$>

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I'm a feminist at heart...

...But apparently my ears are total chauvinists.

AudioScrobbler
has given me the ability to track my listening over time. I was surprised to see the results after over 5600 tracks played.

1 The Beatles
2 Frank Black
3 Ben Folds
4 Jack Johnson
5 The White Stripes
6 Fiona Apple
7 They Might Be Giants
8 Beck
9 Otis Redding
10 Bo Diddley

All worthy artists, but Fiona Apple the only woman on the list. And it gets worse!

In the rest of the top 50 artists—I almost can't say it—there were (sheepish) (chagrined)devastateded) no other women artists or bands with frontwomen.

We're going to have to do some serious reprogramming work. (Unless we can pin this on the recording industry.) You know, we might have something there. I just checked the top artists list for Geeky Mom. And the first woman artist on the list was in at #17, the Cranberries (Dolores O'Riordan fronts).

Clearly, something must be done. It's time to rip the rest of the CD collection. I might have to initiate an Uppity Blues Women festival-for-oneAndNd PJ Harvey, Dionne Warwick, Norah Jones, Astrud Gilberto, Joan Armatrading...I'm listening.

Celine Dion...I am still not listening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Of course, I listen to guys for the lust factor, even though Rufus is gay. He's still cute. :)

I was thinking about this issue not long ago. I do think there's a fantasy element to my listening habits. You know, wanting a guy to croon for you. But I remember in college, I went through a completely female singer phase--Tracy Chapman, the Sugarcubes, Edie Brickell, Laurie Anderson. Is it possible that there just haven't been any compelling female singers out there--or perhaps they're not being marketed well?

I mean, I'm never going to listen to Britney Spears. Yuck.

9:27 PM  
Blogger EB said...

Hope you didn't mind me using your listening history as post-grist!

Actually, I think a big reason for my skew is that I love to sing, so I tend to identify more with music I can sing along with.

9:58 PM  
Blogger theBhc said...

give yourself a little break, White Stripes is half girl.

And thanks for the blogroll (Anything They Say), which I just noticed through technorati.

cheers!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home